Born from a Central European idea around 1900, the CIC was created in 1928 in Palárikovo (in today’s Slovakia), following an initiative of the Hungarian Count Louis Károlyi and Maxime Ducrocq, President of the French St. Hubert Club and their friends. As an international organization from the start, the CIC was registered in Paris in 1930.
During its more than 80 years of existence, the CIC has gained global recognition as an independent advisor in the field of wildlife resources conservation. In addition to its practical work in the field, it promotes the principle of sustainable use in international policy development. The CIC achieved major goals in the conservation of endangered species around the world by supporting species conservation projects, such as the reintroduction of the Thaki Wild Horse (Equus ferus przewalskii) to Mongolia in 1993 and others such as the Saiga antelope (Saiga tatarica), the Houbara Bustard (Chlamydotis undulata) or the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus). The CIC has also taken part in habitat conservation and agri-environmental projects. The recent achievement of the recognition of falconry as an Intangible World Cultural Heritage by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), was also an initiative started by the CIC.