Born from a Central European idea from around 1900, the CIC was created in 1928 in Palárikovo (in today’s Slovakia), following an initiative from the Hungarian Count Louis Károlyi and Maxime Ducrocq, President of the French St. Hubert Club, together with a few of their acquaintances. An international organization from its inception, the CIC was later registered in Paris, 1930.
During its more than 80 years of existence, the CIC has gained global recognition as an independent advisor in the field of wildlife resource conservation. In addition to its practical work in the field, it promotes the principle of sustainable use in international policy development.
The CIC has had much success in its efforts to conserve endangered species around the world, as well as habitat conservation and argi-environmental projects. Examples of successful endeavors include the reintroduction of the Thaki Wild Horse (Equus ferus przewalskii) to Mongolia in 1993 and others such as the Saiga antelope (Saiga tatarica), the Houbara Bustard (Chlamydotis undulata) and the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus).
The recent recognition of falconry as an Intangible World Cultural Heritage by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), was also an initiative started by the CIC.